Thursday, January 28, 2010

Joseph Todorovitch Class: Winter 2010

These are from a class I took with Joseph Todorovitch. They're all 8"x10" on gessoed board exept for the guy below which is 14"x18" on a cheap canvas panel. Joseph's approach really took me off guard. I've been used to progressively building from my darkest dark to my lightest light from other instructors. This was really hard for me, even though when I first started painting, my inexperienced mind thought I would paint from a middle tone and then push and pull, as I did here. I must say it was a good challenge for me and would like to explore this method more.

Ivory Black, Scarlet Lake, Yellow Ochre, Titanium White.

This is an 8"x10" panel. My first grayscale portrait in oils from life. I'm trying to focus on edges and bolder strokes. Bigger brushes seem to help the cause.

This one is using the so-called Zorn palette. Ivory Black, Cad Red, Yellow Ochre, Titanium White. Black and White are cold, Red and Yellow is warm.

Today I learned that for myself, it's best to organize my colors from Dark to Light, Left to Right. This allows an unobstructed view of my colors as I mix my transitions away from the shadows towards the lit surfaces. Kind of like writing from left to right. If I was left handed, would the opposite be true?

No comments:

Post a Comment