Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend with the Masters 2010

I went to the Weekend with the Masters Workshop in Dana Point on Sept. 23-26. What an amazing experience that was. I got to meet and take workshops with some of the best representational artists out there today and meet a great number of working and aspiring artists from all over the country.

Here's a list of some of the artists I got meet and learn from:

Richard Schmid
Morgan Weistling
David Leffel
Sherrie McGraw
Scott Burdick
Jeremy Lipking
Rose Frantzen
Scott Christensen
Dan Gerhartz

The highlight for me was when Morgan Weistilng took time at the end of his workshop to go over my paint sketch and in a matter of minutes transformed it into a worthwhile portrait. He explained edges and some things to think about when finishing a painting. Needless to say, I learned a great deal and hope to bring these new insights into my future work. Here's some pics of the portrait I started and Morgan finished:

Big thanks to Sonia Hidalgo for getting that shot of Morgan working on my painting. And here's another cool artist I met at Morgan's workshop, Marco Bucci:

He kicked me down with his awesome book. Check out his website by clicking his name above the imge.

Here's some snaps from Jeremy's workshop:

I can't help but to admire everyone's diverse palette setup. So here's a small collection of the many I got to witness:

Jeremy Lipking's Palette:

Sherrie McGraw's Palette:

Scott Burdick's Palette:

Dan Gerhartz Palette:

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This must have been an incredible experience. There are so many artist there I'd love to meet.. Thanks for sharing the snaps. It's so interesting to see the different palettes - It'd be great to see Jeremy paint.
    Shane =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you didn't happen to take any notes that you could possibly share?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thnx !

    Do you know the use /reason for the bright mixes on Lipking's palette?

    ReplyDelete